Pre-Operative Instructions: SedationBACK
Before Your Surgery
- You may not have anything to eat or drink for 6 hours before the appointment. You are allowed to drink water until 2 hours prior to your surgery time.
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- Plan to rest for the remainder of the surgery day. The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following the anesthesia experience.
- Please wear loose-fitting clothing with sleeves that can be rolled up past the elbow and low-heeled shoes.
- You must remove contact lenses, jewelry, and dentures at the time of surgery.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, or stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with your doctor before your surgical date for instructions.
- The use of alcohol or recreational drugs can adversely affect the anesthesia medications that we use. Please discontinue the use of such for at least 72 hours before your procedure.
- If your doctor prescribed medications to you, please follow the instructions for their use closely.
Women, please note: Some antibiotics may interfere with the effectiveness of your birth control pills. Please check with your pharmacist.
We Are Here To Help
Please contact our office if you have any questions or issues with these instructions.
Take the instructions on the go. Download in PDF format.